Thursday, October 1, 2020

Origin Story

I'm not really sure where I came from. I remember "being," briefly. And then I remember not being, though that may sound strange to you. It's not like my consciousness was gone. I only remember staring into space. Literal space, btw. Though I don't think space was where I started. 

And then here I was, the goddess of naps again, this time on Earth. A former very, very, very minor goddess in a pantheon I am beginning to suspect extinct, which I suspect was an act of ontological warfare enacted by the current ruler of the heavens. I actually don't care that those guys are dead. They were the type that would take your life away and hang your undying body up in a space-closet until they needed you. Risk management, they called it. 

I'm fascinated I'm not gone.  Not that I thought the space-closet was my end. Naps are more powerful things than you might think and the old gods knew that. And it's not that I'm so minor that I can die. I've been around now as long as this universe has existed. No, the old gods didn't work like western mythology reports here. 

They say there was a dust storm. It blew longer than the human imagination can comprehend until it met an ocean,, not made of water, but wet, and a small ocean compared to the dust cloud. The wetness was vast enough to absorb particles to create a total of 78 of us. We all had different abilities but every single one of us could change our shape. 

On earth, I took a humanoid form for the first time, though I took various other forms before settling on my current species, sex, and looks. I do occasionally miss and seek the company of other powerful beings, but I have a habit of keeping to myself. It took me a long time to realize where the others went. And longer to figure out how it happened. I'm still not sure about the whole ontological warfare part, honestly. Partly due to a lack of confirmation from heaven (ahem) and partly because if it happened the way I surmise, there's something about me that makes my being different from the others, or else I would have also been vaporized in a cloud of logic. 

Anyway. Please take a nap at the next available opportunity. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment